Monday, June 11, 2012

Life and WTF appointment

4/17/12

Jamie and I went to see the RE last Thursday.  I made an appointment because I had questions and wanted to plan ahead.  We are in the beginning of a clomid cycle, I just wanted some answers and wanted to consult my Doctor instead of Google.  The best part of the appointment by far was introducing Dr. K to Madelyn.  Dr. K was the one that placed Maddie in my womb and it was neat to introduce the two of them.  It was a full circle moment that I feel fortunate to have experienced.  We are so grateful for her.

I first asked Dr. K if she thought that diet mattered when it came to my current cycle.  I explained that I didn't ovulate for one year after Maddie was born until I started the low amylose diet.  (Well, I should say that I got a positive ovulation test, I am not sure I ovulated)  The following cycle I started clomid on the low amylose diet and also had a positive ovulation test and then had a progesterone level of 14.4 which Dr. K was pleased with.  This cycle I have decided not to remain on the low amylose diet.  She didn't think diet mattered and said that studies haven't really indicated a strong indication in either direction.  I should ovulate in the next two to four days if this cycle of clomid is successful.  We shall see.

I next asked Dr. K how many cycles we can try of clomid before moving on.  She said six.  We are on our second.  This helped J and I plan ahead.  I wanted to know how many more months we could try clomid before alternate methods could be tried.  She said we could try IUI but wouldn't recommend IUI with injectibles.  So we are thinking we will see how I respond to this cycle off the diet.  If I don't ovulate or my progesterone level is not as high this cycle, I will go back on the diet for the next four rounds of clomid and possibly one or two IUI's.

What I keep trying not to focus on is the IVF (not the light) at the end of the tunnel.  It's like a long hallway with four doors that say "clomid", two doors that say "IUI" and one big set of double doors at the end of the hallway that say "IVF"  We have six doors to open before we get to IVF and those IVF doors are so intimidating with the memories of all we went through for our last IVF.

She reviewed our egg quality, sperm quality and embryo's last IVF and was pleased with the way things looked.  She said that only 20% of people get to freeze embryos.  I didn't realize that and am so glad to know that because I feared that my egg quality was so bad.  Jamie's sperm count looks great she doesn't see any reason we wouldn't have a successful IVF this time.  Just typing that sends pictures of injections, calendars, ultrasounds, water jugs and bed rest through my head.  Of course I would do it for a chance at giving Maddie a sibling but wow, what a journey it was and would be.

I feel like J and I can plan moneywise now.  There are a couple of things we would like to do to our home that we put off for our last IVF that I would still like to do.  Our master bathroom is in need of expansion and updating and I would love to finish our basement.  Unfortunately, it's a baby or home renovation...not both.  It would be so great to get a baby "for free" and be able to do our basement and/or master bathroom.

J and I are going for a different tactic this time with TTC on clomid.  I was watching the Today show a couple of years ago and heard a TV personality talking about having problems TTC and finding success when her friend told her to BD ten nights in a row.  The "ten nights in a row method" I believe it's referred to.  J and I are trying that this time mainly because we have tried "every other night" in the past while waiting for ovulation and we always seem to miss the night before I get a positive test.  So this time, we aren't taking any chances!  It's been three nights in a row.  Holy Cow, seven more nights?  Whoa.

I have decided to tag a lot of clothes that were given to me when Maddie was born for a Mom's resale event to keep myself busy this two week wait (provided I have one).  It sure takes a lot to tag almost 200 items.    I need to print tags for each item, attach the tag with a tagging gun, hang each item on a hanger and organize by size then deliver to the sale location in late May.  I will feel good when I get all of this done and I will be keeping myself busy and that means not having as much free time to google on my phone.  I tell you that's the worst part of the TWW for me.  I google every single symptom I have.  It's a new approach this time.  When I finish tagging these items I plan to make felt magnetic letters for the refrigerator.  They are so cute and will keep my mind and my hands busy as I watch TV at night.  I'm slightly (okay, a lot) obsessed with these.



No comments:

Post a Comment